Friday, July 16, 2010

Update, Still Waiting on Donations, Good News

Hey everyone, just a quick update on what's going on with the fund raising to help Agii. I've received one more donation since my last update, from my friend Ryan, who's a Peace Corps volunteer in Mongolia, finishing up his last months in the country. Just keep in mind that Peace Corps volunteers make chump change (a few thousane per year) and if one one PCV can make a small donation, plenty of you can afford to make one as well. :) I'm still waiting to hear back from some family members and friends but I did receive some good news from my friend Lauren, who was a Fulbright scholar in Olgii, studying eagle hunting and Kazakh eagle hunters. She was in Olgii for a while and did some other traveling around Mongolia for her studies and work and my site mates, local friends and I spent a lot of time with her in Olgii. While she was living near Deloun soum, a small town south of Olgii, she lived with a family whose child had a cleft lip. Through donations from family and friends, Lauren was able to raise a few thousand dollars to pay for transportaion to UB, an operation, and medical care for the child. Because the whole deal cost less than originally anticipated, Lauren has quite a bit of money left over, something like a couple grand, maybe more. Because Lauren is also friendly with Agii, she has decided to donate the remaining funds to help Agii and Aiman and their family out.

Lauren is in Olgii until until the 23rd and in the meanwhile is trying to find the best way to get those funds to Agii. Hopefully she'll be able to withdraw the cash or make a transfer to Agii's bank account in the next week. I was very excited to hear that Lauren can donate so much to help them out and hopefully, that money plus whatever I can raise will make a big difference in getting the proper care for Aiman and making sure Agii's family doesn't have to give up everything in the process.

I'm still taking donations to my Paypal account, probably going to wait another week if I can, before making the first transfer. If you have anything you can donate, please do, every little bit will help. Thank you.

In other news, our good friend Brian is coming into Cambodia tonight from Mongolia. He just finished his Peace Corps service and will be spending close to two weeks here before flying back to the U.S. to be with his wife and family. We're heading to a beach town called Sihanoukville tomorrow morning to spend the weekend and are planning on heading back to Siem Reap next weekend.

I took on more hours at work and I'm teaching TOEFL ibt classes in the mornings and evenings. I switched classes and now I'm teaching the some of thesame students I had last term, a group I grew pretty close with and had a lot of fun with. I'm teaching them the next level of TOEFL at New World Institute and teaching another group in the mornings. It's nice because it gives me something to do for a few hours in the morning, I still have a lot of free time during the day and I'll be able to save a bit more money before I come back to the U.S.

Just wanted to throw in a quick update before the weekend. We'll only be gone for a day and a half, should be back home by Sunday afternoon. I'll update again with more pics asap. Hope everyone is doing well.

No comments: