Thursday, July 8, 2010

Update on 'request for help' (Agii)

I just copied and pasted this from an email I sent out recently, regarding the situation with my friend Agii, who's sister has a very serious, life threatening brain tumor.

Hey friends, family, blog followers,

I originally sent this email to the people who emailed me back or wrote in response to my blog post about my friend Agii in Mongolia, who's sister has a life threatening brain tumor. My good friend Travis Hellstrom, who I trained with as a Peace Corps volunteer in Mongolia, has agreed to help me out in getting some funds to Agii. I worry that there isn't enough time to set up anything really 'official' or more professional, so there won't be any tax benefits to come with this donation, but I hope you can still donate some money. Because it's in Mongolia, our only real option at this point is for those who are interested in donating, to transfer money to my Paypal account. After I receive the funds in my Paypal, I will transfer them to Travis' Paypal account. Once he has them in his Paypal account, he's going to transfer them to his American bank account, withdraw them from an ATM in Mongolia, then deposit the cash in Agii's Khaan Bank (local Mongolian bank) account. If I set up a 'donation' account on Paypal, Paypal takes a 3% fee so I'd like to avoid that.

I know this process sounds a bit complicated and maybe unprofessional but I can assure you, this is our only option at this point, especially given the seriousness of the situation. I am donating $100 to Agii, which I just transferred from my bank account to my Paypal account. I will evaluate my money situation again soon and see if I can donate more. I don't know that I can raise enough money to buy his sister a plane ticket or not but I think at this point, anything will help. Agii has already expressed to me that he is willing to sell everything he owns in order to help his sister.

Please feel free to email me back if you have any questions. For those who don't have Paypal and would still like to donate some money, email me and I'm sure we can work something out where you could maybe use a friend or family members' Paypal account. My email address for my Paypal account is matt98ta@yahoo.com. If you transfer money to my account, email me or send a message to let me know.

I'm going to make another blog post about this to see if I can find more people interested in donating and brainstorm with Travis on other ways to raise money and transfer it to Agii. I will probably also make a guest post on Travis' blog as well.

My email: matthewbecker82@gmail.com

Travis' blog: http://blog.advancehumanity.com/


Thank you for reading and thank you for anything you can donate to help a great friend of mine,

Matt Becker

UPDATE: So far we've raised $450 to donate to help Agii !!!!

No comments: