Saturday, March 20, 2010

Making More Progress



So the last two days have been a bit frustrating but productive. The computers arrived from UB, intact and in a reasonable amount of time. The search for computer desks didn't go quite the way I wanted it to, as finding four matching computer desks in Olgii proved to be pretty much impossible.

A few stores had decent computer desks but none of the stores had more than one of the same kind of desk. I wanted to have four matching (or close to it), quality, affordable desks for the computers but after two days of trips to numerous stores, confusion over what was available and prices, and lots of haggling, we managed to find four desks, none of which match, but all seem to be decent quality and the prices weren't horrible.

Today we brought the desks to the center and managed to set up the computers for the most part. Three of the four computers seem to be working fine, with one appearing to be in need of reformatting. I'm hoping I can get my computer guru of a mother on messenger or a skype call to help me fix the fourth computer, so we'll see how that goes. The other computers I set up with antivirus software, antispyware, antimalware, 'Mario Teaches Typing' software and an English learning software program. Next week, when everything is (hopefully) set up correctly, Nurbol and I will be going over what I put on the computers and showing the children's center workers and student council members the best ways to handle the computers to avoid problems.

I also put a number of American movies and some music on the computers, so students can take those with a flash drive if they want. I have had a number of students ask for American movies and music so it will be nice to provide them with access to these. We picked up a couple of rugs and we went to a guy's house who specializes in custom wood furniture. He's making eight chairs for the computer desks and the table for us. We'll hopefully be picking those up tomorrow. At some point we need to pick up a printer and figure out prices for internet access. Other than that, I need to buy a few small things, bring in some supplies and resources from my apartment, and start cleaning up, making sure all the details are in order. If things go as planned the center should be open and available for kids to use by the end of next week or early the week after. As I won't be here much longer, I'm hoping this will be a great resource for the next Peace Corps volunteer to expand on and take advantage of when he or she gets here in August.

I will update more and add pics later when everything is finished and looking the way it should. :)

No comments: