Tuesday, December 15, 2009

When it rains, it pours

When it rains, it pours. I can't think of a more appropriate idiom or expression to explain what's happening to me right now, hahaha. I have been bored, frustrated, impatient, and waiting for things to happen over the past couple weeks. Suddenly, it's the week before I leave for vacation and I find myself busier than I've been in a long time, almost running around like a chicken with its head cut off, trying to get things done. In addition to finding out that my grant has been conditionally approved, yesterday I received an email from the head of UNICEF Mongolia telling me that they are interested in possibly helping out with some projects in our community. My work finally lets me know that the aimag (province) government has decided to provide funding/support in the form of 30 million tugriks. This money, plus another 120 million from ngo World Vision, will go towards building a completely new children's 'palace' next year, provided we can get additional support and funding from UNICEF and/or other organizations. Marta, one of the English teachers at Bastama, where I teach a few English clubs, translated the children's center's project proposal into English for me today and I am currently editing and typing it. I'm hoping to finish and email it to UNICEF tonight.

I have a meeting in a few minutes with my boss and my student (and incredibly helpful translator and friend) Gulim to discuss the changes that need to be made to the grant. I need to check on some costs, clarify a few points, figure out how we'll have the grant translated into Mongolian, open up a joint bank account with my boss, fill out some SPA (small project assistance) paperwork, and get this all submitted to Peace Corps before Saturday morning. I'm going to dinner with Laura, Ashlee, Bek and a couple of travelers tonight. I'm hoping to talk about the projects a bit more and some other ideas to go with them, with Ashlee and Laura. I know that Laura's family and friends collected thousands of books to be sent to Olgii for her English library and we're looking for funding to have the books shipped..and I also have a number of friends and family members who are interested in contributing books or money towards projects here. Any books that can't be used in the English library will probably end up in the children's learning center. As soon as we figure out what our plan is and what we think is the top priority, I'll update my blog and send out some emails clarifying things.

More to come as things progress. Hope all is well. :)

No comments: