Thursday, December 17, 2009

A sigh of relief....almost


Ok so the past two days have been really hectic but it seems as though I can breathe at least a small sigh of relief. Yesterday I met with my director (boss) and my friend, student, and part time translator, Gulim, we hashed out the details on the grant and on some of the costs, I made the necessary changes to the grant, and today we set up the joint bank account in which we will receive the grant funds. I need to complete a bit more paperwork, we're waiting on the grant to be translated into Mongolian by an English teacher who works at Bastama school(where I teach fifth and seventh grade English clubs), and I'll see how things go from there. There was a little confusion and some miscommunication on the bank account specifics but we got it straightened out with the help of Laura's counterpart Mara, a very nice, smart, hard working, and helpful English teacher. :)

Speaking of Laura, today I donated the majority of my English resources to her library. I had an assortment of movies, books, maps, crayons, colored pencils, markers, magazines, construction paper and numerous other English resources that I felt would be more effective in the English library, where students will have easy access to them. I have used a lot of these resources in my teaching but as things have slowed down recently with my classes, I felt it would be much better for them to all be placed in the library. Most of these resources were sent by friends and family from the U.S. and I just want everyone who sent supplies to know that they are being put to good use. :) I was in the library today making some copies and there were a lot of students there checking out books and looking for American Christmas materials (songs, books, movies, etc.). Things are going really well at Laura's library, I'm very happy for her and glad I was able to help out a little bit. I have been meaning to take pictures of the library so people back home can see what I'm talking about. I'll try to get that done today or tomorrow and get them posted up.

Anyways, I have to finish up editing and typing the UNICEF proposal tonight, I've been so busy the past two days I've had very little time to finish that. I will definitely have it finished and sent to UNICEF Mongolia before I head out on my trip to Thailand. Tomorrow I have to pack my stuff and clean my apartment up a little bit. Saturday morning I head to Ulaanbaatar, next week I have my flu shot and a dental appointment and I will be heading to Darhan for Christmas to visit my friend Cristiana and meet some of the M20s. After that, I head to Thailand for a little over three weeks of vacation with Hanna. More pics and updates to come, as always. Hope everyone is having a good holiday season so far. :)

No comments: