Monday, May 11, 2009

Pictures from the weekend in Nugunur







I added a bunch of pics from the weekend to the Facebook album Mongolia 2009 part 3 so check that link out again. Also started a new album with the rest of the pics. I'll put the link here and in my picture albums list.

Mongolia 2009 part 4
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2053327&id=72206395&l=fd76bde51c

Like I said the weekend was a lot of fun. We left Olgii Friday afternoon around five, in a jeep packed with twelve people. It was raining all day and started to sleet and snow as we drove out of Olgii. It took about three hours to get to Nuganur and the weather there was much nicer. We spent the first night at one of Sabid's uncle's houses, drank tea, ate dinner, hung out with the kids a bit and then went to bed. The next day we moved our stuff over to Halat's house, another one of Sabid's uncles. We hung out there for a bit and then took off in a jeep to the countryside to go fishing. We walked down the river for a while and the guys spent a lot of time checking out a few spots with no luck before we finally found a spot where we could see quite a few fish. Laura and I mostly chilled, read our books, and enjoyed the sun and warm weather while the guys we were with fished. After a few hours they caught one fish, then eventually five. We went to a nearby ger for some tea and snacks, went back out and spent a few more hours on the river. Eventually one of the guys brought out a big net and they managed to catch over thirty fish in about thirty minutes, after catching six over the course of the day using fishing poles, lines and spears.

We had some more food at the ger and then headed back to town. We relaxed at Halat's house for a while, drank some tea, ate a little bit of meat and soup and then went to bed. The next day was very nice as well and we woke up pretty early to catch a ride back to Olgii. The weather was perfect on the way back and the van wasn't as crowded or uncomfortable as the jeep we had taken there. I slept most of the ride and in about three hours we got back home. That afternoon I had my home visit from Peace Corps, everything was fine, no issues. I'd like a working fridge if possible but I managed to survive the past 9 months without one, I'm sure I can make due another 16. :)

In the afternoon on Sunday we went to our friend Janka's party. She's an English teacher who works at Laura's school and Laura, Rike and I are good friends with her. She just recently completed her masters in Ulaanbaatar and is going to Kazakhstan for the summer. There was a lot of good food and drink at the party and we all had a good time.

This week I'll be doing some more meeting with my coworkers and the student council to discuss projects and doing my usual teaching. More updates as things progress.

No comments: