Monday, June 1, 2009

Mother's and Children's Day






In Mongolia, June 1st is 'Mother's and Children's Day', a day to celebrate and show appreciation for mothers and children all across the country. In Olgii they had a big ceremony in the main square which consisted of a bunch of speeches, award presentations, and musical and dance performances. The weather was perfect today, probably around 80 degrees, a light breeze and barely a cloud in the sky. There were some vendors set up all around the square selling food, snacks, and all sorts of other things. I took a lot of pictures of the dancing and the ceremony, which I just added to the last facebook album on the list.(2009 part 7) Later in the day, Laura, Rike and I went down and hung out by the river, just enjoyed the great weather and got some sun. This is our (Laura and I) last week in Olgii before we both head to Ulaanbaatar and then to the U.S. for our vacations.

Above are a few pictures from today but click the last link to look at the rest of the pictures. Sometime in the near future I am going to start uploading new pictures to another photo sharing website, make a few slideshows and add the links to the blog. I think this might be a little bit of an improvement over just adding all the pics to facebook and putting the links up on here.


Oh yeah, here's the music video of the week. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Matthew, Your photos are stunning. They're preparing me for my visit to Mongolia Aug. 9-23. I was a PC Volunteer in Kenya in the 1960s and in Senegal 2005-8. I'll be traveling with a friend who's been teaching in China. We'd love to visit some volunteers while we're there. Email if you know any Volunteers who might be interested in a visit. Paula
phirschoff@gmail.com