Sunday, March 8, 2009

Trying a new layout...experimenting a little


Hey so I as you can probably tell my page changed a little bit. I am trying something a little different, seeing what kinds of templates are available on blogger.

Anyways, not much new to report right now. I had a couple meetings last week. I met with a guy named Nurbol who is 23, a college graduate, and interested in practicing his English speaking in prep for the TOEFL exam. He has plans to go to college in Europe so I am going to be helping him work on his conversational English. Also, he's a pretty motivated young man and when my friend Linda told him that I needed some help with some translating, he expressed interest. While my Kazakh language skills are improving, I am far from fluent, so he is going to help me talk to some more locals about working on some of my projects. It should be very helpful so we'll see how it goes.

Also I met with another local English teacher who just started teaching late last year. I helped out with one of her 6th grade classes last week, it was a lot of fun. I am hoping to talk to her, another teacher at her school who I met, and a teacher from Laura's(my sitemate) school about starting life skills clubs and classes in their schools. If I can gather enough support for this project hopefully I will be doing the grant request paperwork started and get the ball rolling before the summer. Another meeting was with a local private English teacher named Agii, he's a really great guy, very nice and very motivated. He teaches English during the school year to students who are interested in lessons outside of what they normally get in school and he also works with travelers and tourists in the summers. Him and I are going to be meeting with the department of education this week to try and organize an English language competition/conference. I will find out the details of this project soon and post them up when I know more.

I am still working out a small problem with my laptop so I haven't been able to upload any new pictures lately. As soon as I get that bug worked out I will upload the pictures I have on my camera and also take some new ones. That's all for now!

No comments: