Friday, April 13, 2012

Next Adventure - Peace Fellowship with the Advocacy Project in Bangladesh!

I feel very fortunate and excited to let everyone know that I was recently invited to be a Peace Fellow with the Advocacy Project for summer 2012. I will be working in Narayanganj, Bangladesh for 12 weeks, from June to August. My work will be assisting the Subornogram Foundation in support of six schools for the underpriveleged children of Dalit cobblers and fishermen (river gyspies), assisting English language instructors, describing the work of the Subornogram Foundation in videos and blogs, and organizing public health and hygiene workshops.

Here is the link to the Subornogram Foundation's website which outlines its mission, vision, goals and values in greater detail.

The Subornogram Foundation

I will maintain an official blog on the Advocacy Project's website, starting very soon so I probably won't be posting too much on this blog. As soon as my other blog is up, I will post the link on here. Unfortunately the Advocacy Project is a small organization and doesn't have a lot of funding so Peace Fellows are required to find most of the funding for the summer. I am in the process of applying for a scholarship through "America's Unofficial Ambassadors". If I can raise up to $1500, the scholarship will match that and give me an additional $1500. That $3000 will cover the cost of my plane ticket and living expenses for the summer. Any additional money raised will go to the Subornogram Foundation to support its work and projects. I'm still going through the emails and information I've received from the Advocacy Project and will post more details about donations and my upcoming work as soon as possible. Thanks for reading! :)

No comments: