Monday, April 4, 2011

The Gay Bar..and other profound thoughts of the day

1. Hanna and I went up to Denver and met up with a number of my friends, some from Colorado Springs, some from Denver, some RPCV's, some from Castle Rock, etc. We had a good group of people, many of whom had never met before. We did some bar hopping, played some games, drank some beers, ate some delicious pizza and had a grand ol' time on Broadway. Everyone got along. At one point in the evening, on our quest for further greatness, we ended up going to a....wait for it *gasp* gay bar.

Now I consider myself a pretty open-minded guy and I feel that over the past couple of years I've become increasingly open-minded. I have made a lot of new friends in my experiences overseas and a number of them are gay or bisexual. It doesn't bother me and I recognize that gay/homosexual peeps are no different than anyone else. We all want the same things, we all want to be loved, to be accepted for who we are and we don't want to be harassed or oppressed because of how we live our lives.

That all being said, I was appalled by what I saw in the gay bar. These people, the gays, were out of control. They were drinking alcohol, dancing, flirting, laughing, and engaging in all sorts of fun. I couldn't believe it. As I watched these people engaging in their debaucherous behavior, I couldn't help but think to myself....'We can't allow these people to marry, they would ruin all that is sacred and beautiful about marriage. Straight people would never engage in this sort of behavior'.

Wait, what? O_o

Sarcasm aside, in my first excursion to a gay bar, I think the most licentious thing that I saw was a man in some crazy leather strap outfit working up a sweat on the dance floor. Looking back, it probably wasn't any more provocative than what the majority of girls wear out to the clubs here. I admit, before I made friends with more gay people, I was guilty of saying 'I don't have a problem with gay guys, as long as they don't try to get on me'. I've learned how ridiculous that sounds and now if I hear one of my more obviously insecure/homophobic guy friends say something like that, I laugh and shake my head. I'm pretty sure that the majority of men in that club knew that I wasn't gay and I'm certainly not arrogant enough to think that they all wanted to man rape me.

My name is Matt Becker. I'm a straight male and I survived my first gay bar experience, unscathed.

2. Whenever I'm driving and Lady Gaga comes on the radio, I want to swerve my car into oncoming traffic.

3. Today for breakfast, I ate an omelette that was about the size of my head + three pancakes. I finished all but 2-3 bites of the omelette. I was both impressed and disgusted by myself at the same time.

4. Today I farted....................in the library.

No comments: