Saturday, August 29, 2009

Haircuts, Mid Service Training and Returning to Olgii






Well this past week the M19 group of Peace Corps volunteers had our mid service training. We had a resource fair for organizations in Mongolia that could be helpful in our work and in projects, sessions on cross sector (mixing work sectors such as youth development with health, TEFL with business, etc.), and shared our work and project experiences with each other. We were able to discuss what has worked, what hasn't been so successful and talk about our goals for our second year in Mongolia. It was interesting and useful and was also really nice to get most of our group together again and do some socialzing and networking.

After the training was over my site mate and I flew back to Olgii. We had a pretty early flight at 5 AM so needless to say, I am exhausted. Luckily work doesn't start back up again until Monday. This year with the M20 group, Olgii was lucky enough to receive two new Peace Corps volunteers. Scott and Ashlee are a married couple from California. Scott will be working as an English teacher at the school where my friend Agii works and Ashlee, a health volunteer, will be working for the health department. I met them today and spoke with them for a little while. It's very exciting to have two new volunteers in our town and I look forward to working on projects with them and getting to know them over the next year.

The pics above are from mid service training, I'll upload some more onto my flickr account soon. Some of my friends decided to take advtage of what I believe is the only golf course around and played nine holes. Also, as you can see in one of the pics. I finally cut my hair after around thirteen months. It's much easier to deal with now. :)



1 comment:

Travis said...

It was incredible to see you at MST Matt, you are an incredible guy and I feel very lucky to be here with you.